Day trip to Kanchipuram and Mahabalipuram
What this tour is about: In this tour we will visit Kanchipuram and Mahabalipuram; two historic sites near Chennai.
Kanchipuram is an ancient cultural centre, home to several major temples and monasteries. Between the 4th and 9th century AD, under the Pallavas, the city reached its zenith, especially after it became the capital city in the 6th century AD. Kanchipuram is also famous for handloom silk textiles. Mahabalipuram was the seaport and trading centre of the Pallava kingdom. It is a UNESCO World Heritage site, with stunning ruins and grand open-air sculptures by the seashore.
What this tour covers:
- Ekambareswar Temple – a massive temple complex that gets its name from an ancient mango tree living with its boundaries
- Kamakshi Amman Temple – a temple dedicated to the goddess, the chief deity of Kanchipuram
- A tour of the silk loom to look at Kanchipuram’s famous weaves
- Shore Temple – one of the oldest structural stone temples in South India, and a UNESCO heritage site
- Arjuna's Penance – a grand sculpted rock relief
- Pancha Rathas (Five Chariots) – five monolithic pyramid structures, each carved from a single piece of stone
Duration: Full day
Costs and How to Book:
Cost varies depending on the number of people. Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for details.